Springfield Historic Sites - Old State Capitol
Home  ›   Photo Gallery  ›   Young Women's Christian Association
Young Women's Christian Association

Young Women's Christian Association

421 East Jackson Street
Springfield, IL

The Young Women’s Christian Association building is located at the northwest corner of Fifth and Jackson Streets in downtown Springfield.  Construction of the building was started in 1912 and completed in March, 1913.  The steel framed structure consists of three floors and has a raised basement.  The exterior of the building is flat with a parapet wall running completely around the top.   The roofline is ornamented with a simple dentil cornice along the east and south elevations.  When the Springfield Young Women’s Christian Association was organized in 1909, the spiritual, social, and physical development of all young women were the stated goals which closely followed the heritage set forth by the organization’s English roots.  The importance of the Springfield YWCA has been its social impact on the female residents of the city.