Circa 1839 The
Virgil Hickox House was built on land purchased from
Paschal P. Enos in 1839. There have been numerous
additions to the original 20’X40’ which featured an
English basement. These additions accommodated an ever
growing need for the Hickox family and their mercantile
business on the site. The building has housed among
other entities in its history; The Sangamo Club (1890)
and Norb Andy’s Tabarin. Mr. Hickox was very active as
manager in the 1858 U.S. Senate campaign of Stephen A.
Douglas. The building is listed on the National Register
of Historic Places.