In 1896, George
Pasfield Jr. (1870-1930) began building a
Georgian-Revival Mansion overlooking a large wooded
estate where his family had resided since the 1840s.
After Pasfield’s death in 1930, the house remained in
the family for approximately ten years when it was sold
and converted to a nine unit apartment building.
Pasfield’s father and grandfather were early settlers of
Springfield, arriving in 1831. The elder George
Pasfield (1792-1869) was one of the first merchants on
the public square and was among the prominent
contributors who helped bring the Illinois capital to
Springfield. His son, Dr. George Pasfield (1831-1916),
was a Springfield banker who expanded the family’s
considerable land holdings and co-founded
internationally known businesses. Upon his death, Dr.
Pasfield was recognized as the wealthiest man in central
Illinois and a personal friend of Abraham Lincoln.