The building at
420 South Sixth received landmark status from the City
of Springfield because of what the building has added to
the richness of our community and its many remaining
architectural details. Since 1840, the Masons have been
a part of our community. Since 1909, the Masonic Temple
and, now, the Hoogland Center for the Arts, have
provided a gathering place for community leaders. The
renovated space incorporates offices and storage areas
for the 14 different art groups that are housed at the
Hoogland Center. Finally, the basement dining
facilities built in 1961 could seat 800. The Dining
Room has been reconfigured to allow for the orchestra
pit and now seats 300.
Masonic Temple at 420 South Sixth, was the hub for
Springfield citizens and families to socialize and
become engaged in civic activities in Springfield.
United States Senator Stephen A. Douglas is perhaps the
most famous Mason inducted from Springfield. Prior to
1960, the Masonic Temple was housed at 420 South Sixth
beginning in 1909. In 1960, the Masons built a large
addition to the original building and placed a limestone
and brick facade to both buildings. Bill Turley was
commissioned as the architect for the addition and
renovation of the Masonic Temple. Mr. Turley was also
the architect for the YMCA and the Thomas Rees Memorial
Tower and Carillon. As part of the renovation, Mr.
Turley utilized a limestone facade for the original
building. Similar limestone usage can be seen as part
of the design for both the Carillon and the YMCA.
Telephone number 217-523-2787. Web site