House, located at 1500 North Fifth Street, is one of
Springfield's most significant Italianate mansions.
Commissioned by George M. Brinkerhoff in 1869, the
large and gracious home cost $17,000 to construct. Mr.
Brinkerhoff came to Springfield in 1859 to teach at
Illinois State University, and eventually became a major
figure in both business and politics. He helped
organize the Springfield City Railway and Springfield
Iron Company, and served as both City Comptroller and
State Auditor. The home was designed and built by
Elijah E. Myers, a carpenter by trade and protégé of
well known Italianate architect Samuel Sloan. Following
Brinkerhoff's death in 1926, the home was sold to the
Ursuline Order and was used as the main Administration
Building of Springfield Junior College. Facing
demolition in the 1970s, the home was saved in large
part through the efforts of Springfield College Board
member Doris Bucari.