303 So. Glenwood Ave.
This 1864 Italianate
style house is likely the oldest structure in the Doyle
Subdivision that resulted from Springfield’s western
expansion in the mid 1860s. The gothic style wraparound
porch is supported by split-faced blocks and has eight
full-length Tuscan columns set on brick piers and
surmounted by acanthus leaf Corinthian tops, fancy
cornices and reliefs.
The main entrance on the east
elevation has an oval vestibule light door surrounded by
full-length sidelights. All front-elevation windows are
double hung and have lug trim (mission) wood. The south
elevation is notable for its overhanging three-side
calet bay window.
The kitchen retains a tin ceiling
with cornice and corner plates intact. The interior
wood reveals markings from hand chisels and displays
superior craftsmanship. All doorways have three-paneled
The overall construction speaks to
the quality of craftsmanship used in the early expansion
of the city’s western borders.