Springfield Historic Sites - Old State Capitol
Home  ›   Photo Gallery  ›   Clarkson W. Freeman House
Clarkson W. Freeman House


Clarkson W. Freeman House


704 West Monroe Street
Springfield, IL

Listed on the National Register, the Freeman-Hughes House was built in 1878.  The two-story structure is typical of vernacular interpretations of the Italianate, with two wings perpendicular to each other, steeply-pitched gabled roofs, a porch along the fašade, a bay window on one side of the house with decorative brackets under its cornice, and long, thin shuttered windows.  Much of the detailing of the house trim is of the Carpenter-Gothic variety, with intricate carpentry work found on the porch and along the front ends of the gables that face the street.  This Carpenter-Gothic trim is the most elaborate of any surviving in Springfield.  The original owner, Clarkson W. Freeman, was the son of one of Springfield’s earliest residents.