The George W. Bunn
House at 1001 South Sixth Street was built in the Queen
Anne (Half-Timbered) style in 1883 for Sara Bunn Jones
and her husband, Frank Jones. The house is located in
an area south of the Springfield central business
district that was known as “Aristocracy Hill”. The
house is irregular in shape, clapboard sided and has
hipped and gable roofs covered with asphalt shingles.
The gable ends of the roof feature half-timbering and
stucco. The main part of the house has a brick
foundation. The house has a front gabled porch with
Ionic columns and a wood railing. The porch cornice and
gable end of its roof have classically styled,
decorative features. The porch has a stone foundation.
Part of the front porch is covered by an extension of
the second story. The rear porch is also enclosed under
the second story, and is framed in with lattice-work.
Most of the windows in the house are 1/1 double-hung.
There are four wide, patterned brick chimneys with
After the turn of
the century, a two story hipped roof wing was built on
the south side of the house. It contains sun rooms at
each level with a series of casement type windows on
three sides. On the corners of this wing are applied
Ionic columns at the first floor level. Aside from this
addition, it appears that there have been few, if any,
changes in the house since its original construction.
The Bunn-Sankey House has local landmark status.