The Booth-Grunendike Mansion is perhaps the best
remaining example of Second Empire residential style
architecture in Springfield. The 5000 square foot home
includes a grand central pavilion flanked by symmetrical
side pavilions. The characteristic mansard roof, arched
doors and windows with glass upper panels, and deeply
carved wood moldings are typical of Second Empire
architecture. The lot at 500 South Sixth Street had a
residence as early as 1850 constructed by Edward B.
Pease. However, the current structure was likely built
around 1870. Pease owned a hardware store on the south
side of the Old State Capitol. Amasa Booth owned a
successful wagon and carriage business he inherited from
his father. He purchased the home in 1881, and Booth's
daughter, Mary Gruendike, lived in the house until her
death in 1965 at the age of 102.